I had already decided to do this and had just added the widget when I read a post on David Lee King's blog in which he discusses ways "not to tweet" for libraries. The first thing I did was open my tweets. I'm not sure why I set it up so the viewer would have to ask permission to follow the library tweets but I think he's right--it should be open to all.
In the post he also says that before setting up an institutional account you should answer these questions:
- What do you want to get out of it?
- Why are you setting it up?
- Who’s going to maintain the account?
- Who’s going to answer tweets?
- Who do you plan to connect with?